AirPods were a revolutionary product and a major step-up from headphones and earphones with wires. One of the major problems with wired earphones and headphones was the wire getting tangled up and not to mention that any problems in the wire rendered the earphones/headsets useless. Since the AirPods are wireless, they ended up solving most of these problems.
But if we look at the AirPods, they also come with their own set of problems, such as battery issues, connection problems, pairing issues, and so on. Among all of these issues, the one problem which has been a frequent one among the AirPod users is the disconnection problem, and that’s what we will try to solve today.
Why do my AirPods keep disconnecting?
If you experience the disconnection problem on an occasional basis, that’s usually not a problem for most people. But when it starts to happen frequently and especially when you are attending an important phone call, then that’s an indication that you need to find an answer to the question of why AirPods keep disconnecting.
Let’s take a look at how you can solve the disconnection problem in the AirPods on different devices/platforms:
Why do my AirPods keep disconnecting with a full battery on my iPhone?
Do your AirPods keep disconnecting even though your iPhone has a full battery? It can be due to any of the following reasons:
Outdated iOS version
If the iOS version of your iPhone is out-of-date, then it can cause connection problems with the AirPods. In fact, an outdated iOS version can even lead to potential compatibility issues between the device and the AirPods.
You can easily solve this problem by ensuring that your iPhone and the AirPods are regularly updated. And whenever a new patch or security fix comes along, install it right away to keep your AirPods functioning properly.
Outdated AirPods Firmware
If the firmware of your AirPods is outdated, it can also cause audio problems or even connection problems with iPhone devices. Please follow the steps mentioned below to check and update the firmware of your AirPods on your iPhone:
- Go to Settings > Bluetooth options on your iPhone.
- Find the AirPods among the list of devices.
- Press the ‘i’ icon present next to the AirPods.
- On the next page, you will be able to see the current firmware version.
- Ensure that your AirPods are connected to the iPhone, and the Wi-Fi is also ON. If the AirPods firmware is outdated, it will be updated automatically.
If your AirPods are close to other wireless devices, then it can also cause a connection problem with the iPhone. The easiest way to solve this problem is to move the AirPods away from other wireless devices such as Wi-Fi routers.
Why do my AirPods keep disconnecting with a full battery on Android smartphones?
Are you facing connection problems when using AirPods on your Android-powered devices? It can be due to the following reasons:
- Different Bluetooth Versions – AirPods work best when the Android’s Bluetooth version is at least 5.0 or higher. So if the Bluetooth version on your Android device is below 5.0, then the problem is with your device.
- Outdated Android Version – Sometimes outdated Android version of the device can also cause connection problems with the AirPods. Once again, you can solve this problem by ensuring that your device is running on the latest Android version.
- Bluetooth Settings – If the Bluetooth settings on your Android are set to turn the Bluetooth off after x period of time, it can also lead to connection problems. So ensure that the Bluetooth connection of your Android phone remains active even if the phone is not in use. Sometimes, even turning the Bluetooth on and off can solve the problem as well!
Why do my AirPods keep disconnecting with full battery from PC, laptop, and Mac?
When we talk about the AirPods connection with PC, laptop, and Mac, things get a little bit trickier as a lot of factors are at play! Some of the common reasons which can cause connection problems between AirPods and PC/Laptop or Mac are listed below:
- No Bluetooth – If the Bluetooth on your PC/Laptop or Mac is turned off, then there is no way for the Airpods to establish a connection. So make sure that the Bluetooth is indeed turned on and active on your PC, laptop, or ac.
- No Pairing – Sometimes, problems can occur between the pairing of Airpods and the PC/laptop or Mac. You can easily solve this problem by pairing the AirPods with your computer or Mac once again.
- Power Management – If your PC/laptop is configured to save power, then it can automatically turn off the Bluetooth after a certain period of time. And once the Bluetooth is turned off, the connection between the PC/laptop and the AirPods will be interrupted. You can solve this problem by turning off the power management on your PC/laptop.
Why does my AirPods Pro keep disconnecting with full battery?
There can be numerous reasons which can cause your AirPods Pro to keep disconnecting even with a full battery. Some of the common reasons include Bluetooth interference, hardware problems, wrong settings, and even firmware issues.
We have listed down some of the common causes which can cause your AirPods pro to disconnect, along with possible solutions:
Since the AirPods are wireless and use Bluetooth technology for connection with the device, any type of Bluetooth interference can cause connection issues!
Basically, whenever there are two devices operating on the same wavelength, it can give rise to connection problems. For example, when you are close to the Wi-Fi router, there is a good chance that you will experience connection problems in the AirPods Pro. If we get more technical, both the AirPods Pro and the Wi-Fi Router operate on the 2.4GHz frequency for communication.
So the easiest way to rule out any Bluetooth interference is to check if you are close to the Wi-Fi router or not. If you are close to the Wi-Fi router, try moving away and see if the connection problem still exists. Another solution is to temporarily turn off the Wi-Fi router and check if your AirPods Pro is still facing the connection problem or not!
If the problem is indeed arising from the Wi-Fi router, you can also change the frequency of your Wi-Fi router by going into the router settings. The exact steps will be different for each router, but you can easily find them via Google Search.
Another reason which can cause disconnection problems in the AirPods Pro is physical damage. Even if your Airpods have not suffered any serious physical damage, just the regular wear-and-tear can take its toll on the electronic components.
If that’s the reason for the connection problem, then sadly, you can’t do much about it. However, you can take several steps to prevent your AirPods from getting damaged in the first place, such as regular cleaning and using a protective case for the AirPods.
Out of Range
If the Airpods Pro is too far away from the target device (out of range), then this can also cause connection problems. You can easily solve this by ensuring that both your Airpods and the target device are close to each other.
The effective range of Apple’s Airpods is around 45 feet roughly which is more than enough. But when you are using the AirPods indoors, a lot of factors can limit that range, such as walls, windows, doors, and even other electronic devices.
How to Fix AirPods that keep disconnecting with Full Battery
You can fix AirPods that keep disconnecting with a full battery in a number of ways, such as updating, resetting, or repairing the Airpods. We have listed the exact steps to perform all of these solutions below:
How to unpair Apple AirPods with your device?
The first solution is to unpair the Apple AirPods from your device. You can do so by accessing the Bluetooth settings of your device and removing the Airpods from the list of connected devices.
For Windows, go to the Settings > Bluetooth > Airpods and press the remove button.
For Mac, go to the Menu Bar > Bluetooth and tap on the Apple Airpods. You will be shown an option to remove the Airpods.
For iPhone, iPod, or iPad, go the Settings and access the Bluetooth options. You will see an option to view more information next to your connected AirPods. Click on that option and tap on the ‘forget this device.’
How to update Airpods pro?
Your AirPods or AirPods Pro are updated automatically as long as they are connected to an iOS device with an active internet connection. Here’s how to update your AirPods:
- Put your AirPods in the case and put them in charging mode.
- Connect your AirPods with an iOS device.
- Make sure that your iOS device has Wi-Fi enabled.
- The update will be installed automatically.
How to Reset Apple Airpods?
Follow the steps mentioned below to reset Apple AirPods and AirPods Pro:
- Place your AirPods or AirPods pro in the charging case.
- Close the lid and wait for at least 30 seconds. Once the 30 seconds have passed, open the lid.
- Go into the settings of your iOS device and access the Bluetooth options.
- Click on the ‘more info’ button located next to the AirPods or AirPods Pro.
- Simply click on ‘forget this device.’
- Now press the setup button located on the back of the AirPods case and hold it for 15 seconds.
- Once the light flashes and changes its color from amber to white, your AirPods will be reset!
What to do if the AirPods keep connecting and disconnecting from your device?
Are you facing frequent connection problems between the AirPods and your device? Try these solutions to fix the problem:
- Check and make sure that the Bluetooth is turned on.
- Unpair and pair the AirPods again.
- Update your iOS or Android device. If the device is a Windows PC/laptop or Mac, then make sure that it is properly updated.
- If the update is on a Windows device, turn off the power management.
Some of the frequently asked questions related to AirPods connection problems are given below:
Why are my AirPods not working properly?
It can be due to a lot of factors such as pairing issues, old iOS version, old firmware version, and even wireless interference. We have explained each of these problems in detail along with their solutions above!
Why can’t I hear anything in my AirPods?
If you can’t hear anything in your AirPods, then that’s an indication that the connection between them and the device is disrupted. If you are facing this problem, you can try the following solutions:
- Update the AirPods and the target device.
- Make sure that the AirPods are in close range to the device.
- Repair the Airpods with the device.
- Make sure that the battery is sufficiently charged.
What to do if the AirPods are constantly disconnecting?
If the AirPods are constantly disconnecting, then make sure that the battery is properly charged. In the majority of the cases, resetting the AirPods and pairing them with the target device solves the problem right away!
Can you use Airpods without the case?
Technically, you can continue to use AirPods without the case and can hear the sound just fine. But you will most definitely need the case for charging the AirPods.
How does the Airpods battery affect its pairing?
If the battery of your AirPods is dead or very low, it will not pair with the device at all. And if it is already paired, then you will face frequent disruptions in the connection.